Saturday, January 06, 2007

Godliness + Contentment = Gain

I don’t know if you make New Year’s resolutions or not. I tend not to because I’m not that good at keeping them. Having said, I think it is wise from time to time to evaluate where I’ve been and where I’m headed. Over the last several months I have been thinking about the characteristics we are diligently to add to our faith based on 2 Peter 1:5-8. Most recently I’ve been thinking about godliness. The definition of godliness centers on piety and spiritual disciplines of prayer, meditation, worship, etc. That led me to 2 Timothy 6:6 which says, “Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.” Paul said that he had learned to be content in whatever situation he found himself. The author of Hebrews says in 13:5: Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

It is so easy for us to become enamored with the culture around us and the things that it says we need to be a significant person. Paul told Timothy that these two things in combination with each other were great gain. A life of spiritual focus on God and the things related to God along with contentment with what He has chosen to provide is a life of great gain.

May I encourage you to make these aspects of the Christian life a priority for you as you go through this year?