Saturday, April 21, 2007

Wash My Feet? Never!

This week I’ve been meditating on John 13:1-17 which deals with Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. I’m not one of those who believes that this practice is literally to be practiced in the church, so I ask myself what exactly am I to learn from this account?

One of the first things that caught my attention was the illustration this is of Jesus’ step of humbling himself to come to earth to redeem us. Verse 4 says that he arose and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded himself. It struck me how similar this is to Philippians 2 where we learn that Jesus made Himself of no reputation, and taking the form of a bondservant, He humbled Himself. It seems to me that this event of washing feet is a picture of the grander event of Christ’s humiliation for us.

Peter’s reaction to all of this is interesting. First he says, “You will never wash my feet!” Then when Jesus tells him that if he doesn’t then he will have no part with him, Peter goes to the other extreme and asks for a complete bath. There is humility in receiving some service or gift from another. Jesus was willing to be humble enough to wash feet, but at first, Peter wasn’t humble enough to receive it. How many times have you been in a situation outside of your control where you needed to call someone to help you? Don’t you often look for any other possible way to accomplish the task without help? We so often try to be self sufficient and we don’t like the humble position of needing help. 2 Corinthians 8:14 tells us that our abundance is to be used to help someone else and then at some other time their abundance will be available to help us when we lack.